Living a balanced life does not only mean being physically fit and eating right, but it also means taking care of your mental well-being. But why is mental health important, and how does it play into a holistic way of living?
Defining & Understanding Mental Health
Mental health encompasses our psychological, emotional, and social well-being— which means it influences a variety of our functions. How we feel, think, act, cope with stress, interact with other people, and make decisions— all of these are impacted by the state of our mental health and well-being.
Several factors affect our mental health, which can include:
- biological influences, such as brain chemistry or genes
- lifestyle, such as physical activity and dietary choices
- family history of mental health issues
- structural factors, such as living environment, access to economic resources, employment, education, and freedom from violence and discrimination
- social and community factors, such as a positive sense of belonging, participation in society, and social support.
Mental health can change over time, and these factors play into that change. There are also times when unforeseen events— like a diagnosis of a chronic illness or a sudden passing of a loved one— can affect your mental health adversely.
Why is Mental Health Important & Why Should You Care About It?
Taking care of your mental health and well-being is a crucial part of living well, and here are some of the reasons why:
- It helps you to handle and cope with stress and adversities.
- It also allows you to build healthy relationships with other people and your community.
- It promotes productivity, whether for work, sports, creative pursuits, or caregiving.
- It keeps you physically healthy— mental health can affect your physical health.
- It lets you realise your full potential.
Tips For Maintaining Your Mental Health & Well-being
Some of the various ways to improve your mental health can be surprisingly simple. From small activities to professional consultations, here are steps to maintain and take care of your mental well-being:
- Get enough sleep and rest.
- Be active and have a balanced, healthy diet.
- Take a break when you need to.
- Take time to do activities or hobbies you enjoy.
- Connect with others and nurture your relationships.
- Get involved— whether it be in an interest group or with your community.
- Find a healthy way to manage stress— some people find writing down their thoughts and feelings helpful, while others seek yoga to de-stress.
- Do not overwhelm yourself; set realistic goals and deal with tasks one at a time.
- Reach out for help and support when you need it.
When things get too overwhelming to handle, it is vital that you seek help— be it in the form of talking to a family member or a trusted friend, or consulting a therapist.
Accessible, Immediate Support for Your Mental Health
If you are in need of support for your mental well-being, our team is available to lend a hand. Our psychologists provide various personalised services to suit your unique needs, aiming to give you the right tools and strategies to overcome life’s obstacles. We look forward to listening to you and giving you the support you need.
Contact us today to make an appointment, and our friendly team will get back to you.